Monday, May 25, 2009

Cake Coquette

Our next guest blog is from the talented Gabrielle Feursinger...we have had the pleasure of working with Gabby on some beautiful wine country weddings and her work with buttercream is absolutely amazing! I have never come across anyone more talented! Please check out the photos below her post on her cakes!



Cake Coquette
Hello A Savvy Event Blog Readers!
My name is Gabrielle Feuersinger, I am owner of Cake Coquette, a boutique cake design company based in San Francisco. Everyone asks me what I call myself, what’s my job title. That’s easy: I am a Cake Designer. Cake Decorator is so grocery store, and please don’t call me a Cake Lady. That’s like calling me the Church Lady, but worse.
I was born and raised in San Francisco so it was only natural that I start my business here after stints making desserts and cakes in Seattle and Los Angeles. Los Angeles was where I really honed my cake skills. I did go to the California Culinary Academy for their Baking and Pastry Program, but you don’t learn the real nuts-and-bolts of decorating cakes in a classroom.
Personally, I acquired my essential decorating skills from on-the-job experience making crazy cakes for high-profile clients in Los Angeles. Think celebrities and musicians. I loved my job in LA, where I worked for the Cake Divas (you can catch their quirky antics on the WE Network show, Amazing Wedding Cakes). With The Divas, as they’re commonly known, I was given the opportunity to work on some really outrageous cakes, and I was allowed enough creative freedom to grow and build my own style.
I left LA with the confidence that I could tackle just about any cake imaginable—buildings, castles, towns made of cake, 10 tier wedding cakes filled with sugar flowers. But what I found to be my favorite style was hand-piped ornamental details with buttercream. Sure, I am happy to use fondant (rolled icing), but my signature look is buttercream icing and piping. Inspiration comes from so many places but my favorites are beautiful fabrics, china patterns, Italian scrolls, French Rococo, gold gilded Austrian art, Russian Faberge jewelry and art nouveau patterns. I just love fabulous textures and details.
Ordering a wedding cake from me begins with a complimentary tasting and consultation. At our meeting I get a sense of what each couple is like and what vision they have for their big day. When I get a good feeling for personalities and style, the creative design process begins. Every cake I make is customized to reflect the couple. My intention is to dazzle my clients, while impressing guests with a delicious wedding cake that is also a piece of art.






Thank you so much Gabby for stopping by and sharing Cake Coquette with our readers! Make sure you check out Cake Coquette's Website and tell her you saw us on our Blog!

No comments: